Taking vitamin C, it’s a common question to ask whether you can overdose on vitamin C. Supplements, just like any food, substance, or medication, can be taken in larger than recommended amounts and produce unfavorable results.
In this article, we take a close look at vitamin C, one of the most popular antioxidants in the world.
What Is Vitamin C?
Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is seen by the public as the best supplement for colds and flu. And it is. As an antioxidant, vitamin C helps to strengthen the immune system which provides us a better chance at fighting off sickness. It helps the body to eliminate free radicals which are known to damage and destroy healthy cells in the body. This is where its greatest benefits are.
What Foods Contain Vitamin C?
Vitamin C can be consumed naturally by eating more foods like bell peppers, broccoli, cantaloupe, grapefruit, kiwi, potatoes, strawberries, and tomatoes. If you eat a lot of these ingredients already, your vitamin C levels may be exactly where you want them. That said, supplementation with vitamin C is another way to ensure your body’s ready to take on any sickness that comes.
How Much Vitamin C Am I Supposed To Take?
The average man needs 90 mg daily. The average woman needs 70 mg of vitamin C every day. Individual needs vary, however.
The maximum dose of vitamin C you should be taking is 2,000 mg for an adult. When someone exceeds this amount, they increase the likelihood of an overdose. A vitamin C overdose is not fatal. It is also highly unlikely that it would ever occur due to the extreme range between the recommended dosage and the absurdly high amount that would be required for an overdose.
What Are The Symptoms Of Too Much Vitamin C?
The most common symptoms of a vitamin C overdose are abdominal pain, cramps, diarrhea, headaches, nausea, and sleeping issues.
If your body is high in iron – such as with hemochromatosis – you have a higher chance of a vitamin C overdose. By taking vitamin C for individuals with hemochromatosis, the results are severe including possible tissue damage.
How Do You Treat A Vitamin C Overdose?
If you believe you are taking too much vitamin C, stop taking it. Next, drink water. This will flush your system and help to bring down vitamin C levels over the course of hours and get you on the path to recovery.
A vitamin C overdose, thankfully, isn’t very severe and all it takes is time to treat it.
If you believe your vitamin C levels may be low or are interested in a vitamin C supplement, try Herbaland Vitamin C gummies for adults available in Canada from Lierre.ca. For celebrating Lierre’s 13th anniversary, the Herbaland lines has 30% discount soon!